Charles Costen-Sumpter enters City Council race
Former Senate candidate is fifth Democrat to enter race for McPike's seat
Charles Costen-Sumpter, who finished third in last month’s Senate District 39 firehouse primary, announced Monday he is running for the Alexandria City Council seat being vacated by Councilman Kirk McPike.
Costen-Sumpter received 321 votes (6.9%) in the Jan. 13 primary won by Del. Elizabeth Bennett-Parker. He co-founded Safe Space NOVA, a nonprofit providing housing support and mental health services for LGBTQ+ youth across Northern Virginia.
He has served on the Alexandria Commission on Employment, chaired the Alexandria Commission on HIV/AIDS and chaired the School Health Advisory Board, according to his campaign website.
“My commitment to public service did not end with an election result,” Costen-Sumpter said in an Instagram post. “It strengthened my resolve to keep showing up, keep listening, and keep doing the work, especially here at the local level.”
Born and raised in a New York City housing project, Costen-Sumpter said the affordability crisis is personal.
“I understand the affordability crisis because I lived it — worrying about rent, about healthcare, about whether one setback could undo everything,” he said on his website.
His platform includes housing affordability and stability, transportation, public schools, youth pathways through trades and apprenticeships, and public health. He has been an advocate for historically underserved communities including Alexandria’s West End, according to his website.
Costen-Sumpter is the fifth Democrat to enter the race, joining former ADC chair Sandy Marks, Tim Laderach, Roberto Gomez and Cesar Madison Tapia. The Alexandria Democratic Committee has scheduled a firehouse primary for Feb. 21. The filing deadline is Thursday, Feb. 6. His campaign website is sumpterforvirginia.com.


