Skip to content

Jury convicts Woodbridge teen in Metro station death

Man fleeing an attack at Potomac Yards climbed into the track bed and was struck by a departing train, prosecutors say

The Franklin P. Backus Courthouse in Alexandria. (Library of Congress)

Table of Contents

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — A jury has convicted a 19-year-old Woodbridge resident of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a man who was struck by a Metro train after climbing into the track bed to escape an attack.

Jamaya Burch was found guilty Wednesday of felony involuntary manslaughter and misdemeanor assault and battery in Alexandria Circuit Court, the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney said Thursday.

Burch and a juvenile co-defendant encountered James Lynt near the entrance of the Potomac Yards Metro station on Sept. 22, 2025, prosecutors said. After an exchange of words, the two assaulted Lynt and chased him through the station.

Lynt climbed into the track bed in an apparent attempt to escape and was struck by a departing train, prosecutors said. He died of his injuries despite efforts by Alexandria Fire Department paramedics and trauma surgeons at George Washington University Hospital.

"This offense involved every citizen's nightmare: a violent attack on a victim selected at random, and resulting in his traumatic death," Commonwealth's Attorney Bryan Porter said. "My thoughts are with Mr. Lynt's family and friends."

Detective Aaron France of the Metro Transit Police Department led the investigation. Detectives identified and arrested the two using video footage from the station, prosecutors said.

The juvenile co-defendant was previously adjudicated delinquent of involuntary manslaughter and assault and battery in Alexandria Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. Juvenile confidentiality laws bar the office from releasing further details of that case, prosecutors said.

Porter thanked the jury for its attention to the case and credited Metro Transit Police detectives, saying the conviction could not have happened without their work.

Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Cathryn F. Evans and Senior Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Antwoine L. Coleman Jr. prosecuted the case.

Sentencing is set for Nov. 5. Involuntary manslaughter carries a maximum of 10 years in prison; assault and battery carries up to 12 months in jail.

Comments

Latest